Skip to main content

Orange GlenHigh School

College & Career Center » Work Permits

Work Permits

Work Permit Requirements

Work permits are considered a privilege and will only be issued to students who meet the following criteria:


Satisfactory academic progress

Maintaining a GPA of 2.0 or higher & passing a minimum of 4 courses during the latest 6-week grading period of the regular school year at its corresponding high school of the EUHSD.

Satisfactory attendance

Not being classified as “habitually truant” or “excessively absent” as determined by the guidelines of the EUHSD & its corresponding high schools’  Attendance Office.

  1. Students failing both academic and attendance requirements will NOT be issued a work permit.
  2. Students failing to meet one of these requirements may be considered for issuance of a “probationary” work permit for a maximum of six weeks.
  3. Failure to maintain the district standards during any 6-week period will result in either the work permit being placed on probationary status or revoked.
  4. Grades will be checked within one week following the end of each grading period.
  5. Parents and employers will be notified of all work permits being placed on probation or revoked.

Work Permit Process


Before beginning the work permit process,

you must first GET HIRED


Please complete these two forms.






When completed by STUDENT, EMPLOYER & PARENT, please take forms to Ms. Mendiaz in the College & Career Center to have processed for a WORK PERMIT.  


To have your work permit processed the following will be done.


  • Grades pulled for the last grading period.  All students MUST have a 2.0 to obtain a work permit.  Please read the guideline form.
  • All information will be verified from school records.  If you have moved and your address does not match, you must change your address in the counseling office before a work permit will be issued.
  • All Social Security numbers will be verified.  Please bring your Social Security Card (copies & pictures are also accepted) with you when you drop off your forms to the Career Center.
  • If your Social Security Card states “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION” you MUST also bring in with you:


1. United States of America Employment Authorization Card.
2. California Driver’s License or California ID Card.


Any questions about this process, please see Ms. Mendiaz or call 760-291-5055.



Please plan ahead, it can take up to 48 hours to process a work permit

Hours of Work

16 & 17 Year Olds

4 hours per day on any schoolday

(EC 49112; 49116; LC 1391)

8 hours on any non-schoolday or on any day preceding a non-schoolday.

(EC 49112; LC 1391)


Spread of Hours 

5 a.m.–10 p.m. However, until 12:30 a.m. on any evening preceding a non-schoolday (LC 1391)

Hours of Work

14 & 15 Year Olds

3 hours per schoolday outside of school hours (EC 49112, 49116; LC 1391)

8 hours on any non-schoolday

No more than 18 hours per week

(EC 49116; LC 1391)


Spread of Hours

7 a.m.–7 p.m., except that from June 1 through Labor Day, until 9 p.m.
(LC 1391)